+ Borrow, renew, return
How to borrow, renew or return items.
- You need a library card to borrow, join online.
- The loan time is three weeks.
- Return your items to any of our five libraries.
- When the libraries are closed, return via the after-hours chute.
- Overdue items returned through the chute accrue fines until processed the next day.
Renew items for an extra three weeks.
- Phone – phone numbers and opening hours – have your library card number ready.
- Online – login to your borrower record. Your ID is your library card number and your 6 digit PIN (your date of birth in the DDMMYY format)
- In person – You don't need to bring the items, just your library card.
You can renew items twice, unless they are reserved.
+ Your ID and PIN
Your personal login details.
Your library card number or a user name of your choice, is used as a login for:
Speak to staff to assign a user name.
Your PIN is your date of birth in the DDMMYY format. For example, if you were born on 8 September 1956, your 6 digit PIN is 080956.
+ Email notification service
Register to receive courtesy reminders, reservations, overdue notices and issue slips via email.
To register your email address, login to your library account, then:
- Select the tab Personal Details.
- Add your email address under Contact Details.
- Select the box Receive library notices via email.
- Click Update.
Your email address will be used solely to deliver library notifications – and new items alerts if requested.
You can now choose to receive your issue slips via email. If you want this option, staff can set it up for you in person or over the phone.
+ Your responsibilities
Please read this section before joining the library.
- To borrow items you must present your library membership card.
- All items are available for three week loan.
- There is no limit on the number of items your may borrow. Items can be borrowed from and returned to any branch of the City of Boroondara Library Service.
- Items may be renewed twice - this can be done via the web or at any branch. Staff are happy to renew items over the telephone during opening hours, Please have your library card number on hand. If there is a reservation on an item you have on loan, a renewal is not permitted.
- Items may be returned at any branch of the Library. After hour chutes are available at all branches. Items left in the chute after hours are regarded as having been returned on the next open day.
- Overdue fines are charged for the late return of items.
- If items are not returned and/or charges paid within 60 days, the account is given to our Debt Collector and an additional $15 applied
- Membership is suspended if you have overdues items and outstanding charges.
- Overdue and reminder notices are a courtesy for your convenience. Their arrival can never be guaranteed. Failure to receive notices does not alter your obligation to return loans on time
- You can reserve any item via the public access catalogues or via our web catalogue from home. Reservations are free. You will be notified when they are ready to be collected.
- If you change your address or name please notify us immediately.
- Please report lost cards to the library immediately. You will be held responsible for any items borrowed before the loss is reported.
- Membership details are confidential and will not be disclosed to other parties.
- Membership is free and you can join if you live anywhere in Victoria.
- Membership entitles you to borrow from our five libraries.
- Temporary visitors to the area may join for a limited period.
Formal identification showing your name and current residential address must be presented.
City of Boroondara Library Service will accept the following forms of physical identification:
- Drivers’ Licence (or certified copy of Drivers' Licence);
- Car Registration;
- Proof of age card
- Council Rate Notice;
- Formal Rental Agreement;
- Health Benefits Card (or certified copy of Health Benefits card);
- Department of Social Security Card (or certified copy of Social Security card);
- Bank or Credit Card Statement;
- Utility Account (e.g. Gas, Electricity); and
- Any formal letter from Federal, State or Local Government Authority
- Any formal letter from an educational institution (eg. TAFE, University)
- Pay slip
Acceptable digital identification:
- Bank or Credit Card Statement; and
- Utility Account (e.g. Gas, Electricity)
- Pay slip
+ Join online
You can join online through our website.
Or you can join at any branch of the library, using an formal identification and proof of your current address.
+ Fees and charges
Fees and charges
Joining and using the library is free, but there are fees for some services.
10c per day per junior or teenage item
40c per day per adult item
Borrowing rights are suspended if an item or items are:
|Debt collection charge||$15.50 (in addition to outstanding debts referred to a debt collection agency)|
|Inter-library loans||$5.50 per request (additional charges may apply for loans from libraries outside Boroondara)|
|Photocopying and printing||
30c per black and white A4 copy
50c per black and white A3 copy
$1.50 per colour A4 copy
$2.50 per colour A3 copy
Lost or damaged items
|Lost library card||$5|
|Cases for CDs or DVDs||$5.15|
For all other items lost or irretrievably damaged, we charge the replacement cost plus an $11 processing charge ($3 processing charge for magazines).
Charges are effective from 1 July 2015.